In order to successfully motivate your team members to work in new ways, you need more than only rewards and punishments. These are the pre-conditions for motivation to take root and result in action.
In my experience, people will change their behavior when
- They know what behavior is expected;
- They have the skill, opportunity and capacity to act;
- They understand why this behavior or expectation is important;
- They get rewarded for doing it; and
- They feel consequences for not.
This guide contains questions for reflection and suggested actions to support each of the 5 components.